Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Christmas 2007 - warning - this is a long post!

…so I realize that it has been a little while since either Stephen or I have posted much other than the picture stream that is displayed above…I apologize for the absence…things have been a little bit crazy around here for us.

Let me take this opportunity to explain…
Since the last post (our Christmas poem), we ventured on a surprise visit to Maine for Christmas (this is where Stephen is from and where his family lives). This came as a Christmas present from my (Kate’s) parents. So, as I said it was a surprise…thus the reason I did not mention it on here before, due to Stephen’s parents checking this blog for updates and I did not want to spoil the surprise. It was simply fantastic though! We arrived into Bangor, ME late on Wednesday night (the 19th of December) it was snowing while we were landing, and there was already so much snow on the ground. But anyway one of Stephen’s sisters, Jessie, was at the airport to pick us up and tote us over to Stephen’s hometown. However, since we landed later than originally planned, we bunked at Jessie’s house until the next day when she finished work and was able to drive us over to East Machias. Did I mention that it was snowing when we landed? Well, it was and it was quite exciting for this southern girl, I have never seen so much snow…it was amazing!
But anyway, back to the story…on Thursday just after lunch we were able to scoot out of town and head to Stephen’s parents. Need I remind you that they still have no idea at this point that we are coming in and so the anticipation and excitement was pretty much at its max for both Stephen and I as well as his sister. On the drive over we tried to figure out how to surprise the clueless parents. Anyway, on our drive over, Jessie has the idea to call the house and talk to Cindy, their mom, to see what was going on and to also ask a “cooking question”. While on the phone she figures out that Cindy is actually just about to head out the door to go pick up the two youngest children from school. So we estimate that she will be gone for about thirty minutes or so and we were actually close enough to be able to be at the house before they arrive home and surprise them by just being there. Well, as we drive up to the house, Richie, Stephen’s brother pops his head out of the garage to see who is coming up the drive way and clearly sees Jessie in front seat (and no one else). Then Stephen pops his head out of the backseat window and asks why Rich is in the cold garage instead of inside the warm house. After Richie’s look of shock, he answers that he forgot his keys to the house in his bedroom and so he was looking for a spare key to be able to get inside. So Stephen hops out of the vehicle to help find the spare key while Jessie pulls the car up into the garage. Well much to our dismay the original spot that Stephen knew of a spare key being hidden, there is no key…bummer. While all this is transpiring, Cindy and the girls are spotted coming up the driveway. In this moment of “what do we, where do we go?” I hide in the mud room closet and Stephen hides out in the garage in Jessie’s car…so we are still all set for a good surprise…whew! Jessie heads outside with Richie to greet Cindy and the girls…they are excited that Jessie is there and start talking about this and that, and about how nice of a surprise it is to see Jessie. Once inside Jessie then explains that she just could not wait until Christmas day to give Cindy and Malcolm (their dad) their late birthday presents along with their Christmas gifts too. So she explains to Cindy that in her arms are two of the presents and she instructs Cindy to sit at the kitchen table and close her eyes, no peaking allowed, while she goes back out to the car to get the other part of the gift…us! So anyway, Jessie comes to get us and Stephen heads inside and opens the closet where I am hiding and we quietly creep in with Jessie and we stand right in front of Cindy. Then Jessie says “Okay, mom you can open your eyes!” And there we stand, it took her about a good 30 seconds or so for it to sink in that we were actually there. Then she screams with joy while jumping up and down excitedly and comes over and gives us both hugs all the while we are laughing and crying and…well it was quite the memorable moment for all of us. Yay!…we did it…we surprised them, well at least we have accomplished in surprising one of the two parents. Now we just have to wait for Stephen’s dad to arrive home from the school. Just then the phone rings and Cindy answers it…it’s Malcolm calling to see if Britnie wanted to come up to the high school to make homemade candy canes in the science lab. Yes, of course she did! Cindy then gets off the phone and suggests that we (Stephen and I) drive Britnie up to the school and surprise Malcolm up there. So we head out with Britnie in tow in Cindy’s truck and we get to the school. Just about the same time Stephen pokes his head around the truck to tell Brit to get her father to close his eyes just like we did mom’s, Malcolm opens the door and sees Stephen and says “What are you doing here you little turkey? And where is your red-headed wife, did you leave her at home?” At that very moment I poke my head around the car and he grins real big and is beside himself with joy.

We were simply thrilled that we succeeded in surprising both of Stephen’s parents by being home for Christmas.

…so we were in Maine from the 19th (like I said above) to the 29th. This time spent with the Holmes family was simply fantastic! There were lots of homemade goodies that were eaten just as fast as they were made…I learned how to make this amazing dessert…Brit, Jenny, Stephen and I made a homemade gingerbread house…we took part in an incredible Christmas dinner…I was able to not only see one our nephews play in a basketball game, but I was also able to see one of our niece’s dance recital too! For both Stephen and I, this was one of our most memorable Christmas’…and we are both incredibly thankful that my parents gave us the gift of time spent with Stephen’s family this Christmas!

Stephen and I in the snow...did I mention that it snowed while we were there and that I saw more snow than I have in my entire life this Christmas? It's true!

In other news, since getting back into the normal routine of things here at home…I would like to point out for you that this month marks four years since I first met Stephen here at Southeastern Bible College. I was the “new” girl on campus who had just transferred into the school and I knew this crazy card game that was originally known as “hand and foot” but has since evolved into names such as “foot and mouth” or the best one yet of “mad cow’s disease”…and Stephen was the guy who was intrigued by the game, but later I found out that it really was not about learning the card game, it was more about the red-haired girl who knew how to play the card game that he was more interested in getting to know. So, I guess what I am trying to say is this…Stephen and I’s lives changed for the better that early January day when we first met…little did we know that a couple months after meeting we would be dating and then about a year and a couple months after that we would be engaged and then one year (almost to the day) after Stephen proposed we would be married…and now we stand here today, having known each other for four years! Man, how time flies when you are having fun, and I truly cannot imagine life without Stephen Joseph! I love you babe! So here’s to another four, fourteen, or forty years, maybe even longer…I can’t wait.

So I know that this is probably the longest post in the history of blogging, but there was so much to say and I could help but include every last detail about surprising Stephen’s family for Christmas...

Stephen and I hope that you all enjoyed the Christmas season and that as we all start this new year that you remember to stop and enjoy time spent with family…as well as remember to bask in the love and faithfulness of our Father in heaven.
Till next time ~ Kate

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! It sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Daniel & Mae said...

That is so great! I am glad that y'alls (probably not a word but I just made it one!) Christmas was delightful....I truly enjoyed reading about your surprises!!

Mae said...

I didn't know where to post this so that you would see it, but Thanks so much for the encouragement...i completely agree. making up the time lost is so worth it! Hope you are doing well...you are truly encouraging to me :)