"All is fair in love and war"...
I think I heard this quoted on some political show the other day.
And while I was trying to figure how that truly applied to politics, I began thinking about my own views surrounding this presidential election...
I have been hesitant to share my views on this blog because I know that I have friends that will disagree with me on certain views. However, at the end of the day, I decided that if I am hesitant to share my view on politics, then am I as equally hesitant to share my faith in Christ too?
So onward I go...
At the start of the 2008 presidential campaign...I was a big fan/proponent of former Governor Mike Huckabee...and to be honest I still am. However, as we all know, the Republican party has nominated Senator John McCain to the ticket for president. Now...I know that I do not always have to vote "Republican" in every election...but over the course of the past month...I think I have changed my mind (for the better) towards McCain.
So what changed my mind?
Well, I went on to Wikipedia and read his story. And what impressed me most about him was not only that he served in the military (unlike his Democratic counterpart), but the fact that while he was a prisoner of war, he chose to remain a p.o.w. until all his fellow soldiers were freed and not just him. Did you know that? McCain was given the opportunity for early release from prison because of his father's status in the U.S.A.! But because he took an oath to abide by the military's Code of Conduct, he declined the offer...
Once I read this and the rest of his story, I now respect him a whole lot more than I did in the beginning of this presidential race. And then to add to that respect, at the end of August...McCain announced his choice for his running mate, as Alaskan Governor, Sarah Palin.
I was/am ecstatic!
Palin, in my opinion, is just what McCain needed to boost his moral among Republican voters, especially the super conservative ones. She is a "stand up" kind of woman; who, from the looks of it, is not afraid to push for reform and also fight for the rights of all voters. And I find it ironic that all the "dirt" that they (i.e. the media) have been able to trudge up on her is that she "may" (or may not) have fired someone in Alaska because they would not take action to fire her sister's ex-husband...and she has denied that rumor! Then when some college kid hacked into her email account, all they found were legitimate emails and family pictures sent to loved ones!
I find it interesting, that when a politician comes along (like Palin), who is trustworthy and consistent, everyone is crying "wolf!"; but when other politicians pretty much get away with anything(!), the media and many Americans are quick praise them for being so honorable.
Seriously, what has our country come to!
-stepping off my soap box-
So, I know that not everyone will agree with my political views, and that is completely fine! I think we all have a choice and a voice to be heard. I have just chosen to be a little more outspoken than usual. And so as the media stated...
"all is fair in love and war"
until next time
~kate
1 comment:
Very glad you shared Kate. My prayers are with our country during this very important time!
Post a Comment