Sunday, March 8, 2009

Embracing life...

Late last week I received an email through our church's email prayer chain (our church meaning - the one we are still members of back in Birmingham). Anyway, the prayer request was regarding a young family in the church...on Thursday evening the husband/father collapsed unexpectedly and died. As I read this email not only was I shocked, but my heart also ached for this young mother and her two sweet little girls enduring such sorrow so unexpectedly!
Though I did not know this family very well...the fact that the man was not too much older than Stephen and I really hit home in my heart and reminded me of how life truly is short and we are never guaranteed tomorrow.

My thoughts then wandered over to embracing the life we are living right now...and where God has placed each one of us, particularly where God has Stephen and I at the moment...

Lately, both S and I have been thinking a lot about where we will be in the next year or so (and hopefully that includes a job for S and possibly me too). I know that I have found myself, all too often, thinking so much about the future that I forgotten to live and embrace where God has placed me (us) right now.

For instance, since S and I have both been without jobs...although an inconvenience, it has afforded us more opportunities to spend time doing things together. Such as cooking dinner and trying out new healthy recipes (like energy/protein bars...the jury is still out on whether or not they turned out - they are cooling at the moment).

So I have determined that I am going to make a point from this day on to embrace the little things that are different and precious about our "unemployment" stint. And I know I will miss this special time S and I have to spend together once it is gone.
I also know that from now on, I am going to tell my husband I love him and give him a kiss one more time before heading out the door, and also give my parents and sisters one more hug before saying goodbye (when I see them again)...and cherish the moments I have with the ones I love all the more.

Okay, well I know this has been kind of a rambling post...but I figured I would share what was on my heart, and I hope it was not too boring (for those of you who actually made it this far).

Until next time ~ kate

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so important to learn this lesson. Sometimes we get so bogged down trying to do God's job that we don't embrace what He has given us today. That will become more and more important to do as you get older. Life just goes faster and faster. I am getting ready to make dinner, but I sure did enjoy helping the kids roller blade and watching them use their scooters. They are growing so fast. I am praying for you and Stephen. Things will fall into place before you know it! God bless you this week! Very good post! Tanya

Jamie and Joy George said...

yeah - that is a good reminder. Such a sad story though. Scary.
I have to remind myself not to take the little things in life for granted.
Jamie too is not working a full-time job, so I'm definitely trying to enjoy the extra time i get with him!! Thanks for the reminder, Katie.
love ya. joy