my grandfather ~ Erling Madsen ~ went to be with the Lord.
And I have to admit I still miss him very much!
He was an extraordinary man!
My grandfather experienced a lot in his 93 years of life ~ it was quite the adventure, and yet just as the saying goes...when life gave him lemons, he simply made lemonade.
He started writing a story of sorts about his life many years ago and later he entrusted this to my eldest sister, Melanie (she published her book last year, if you are interested click here).
I have many memories of my grandfather (and grandmother) growing up. Not only did they live with us from the time I was twelve years old, but up until two years prior to that we lived on the same road in rural Florida ~ Madsen Circle.
I always enjoyed walking over to see them.
My grandmother and I would play dominoes or solitaire together, while my grandfather would be sitting in his chair reading a book or working on a little trinket.
I also loved going blueberry picking with them, however, I think I usually ate more than I picked...but it was a memory just the same.
When I was little my grandparents had a garden...I used to "help" pick the vegetables, although, I usually would get sidetracked and start playing in the dirt more that actually helping, but that's beside the point right?
A few months before he died, my grandfather was diagnosed with colon cancer. S and I just happened to be in town for a few days while he was in the hospital. I had a really sweet chat with him that weekend...I will never forget it. He looked me in the eyes and told me that he had lived a good, long life, no regrets. All I could do or say in response was hold his hand and tell him that I loved him. At that moment, I think I knew in my heart that we would not have many more moments like that...I wish now that I could go back and savor my time with him even more.
As you can tell, I have many memories of my grandfather...and I know I will cherish each one for a lifetime. However, I am most grateful that my grandfather was a very patient man to put up with a spunky, red-haired granddaughter such as me...
until next time ~ kate
1 comment:
Hey Girl!! I am remembering you during this anniversary month. If you need me, give me a call. I am here to talk:)
Post a Comment