Sunday, March 22, 2009

Thoughts on a Sunday afternoon...

So it is Sunday evening and I am sitting here on the couch reflecting over this past week and I just figured that I would share my thoughts in "bullet" form...
  • A few weeks ago Stephen and I were brainstorming about some things we could be doing during this time of unemployment to keep us "busy". I have been babysitting for an old friend whose husband is deployed to Iraq and is also about 8 months pregnant with her third child...Stephen has been working on things around my parent's house that have been screaming for attention. But apart from that we were trying to think of some other things to fill in our long days. So, a couple weeks ago, I called up the summer camp I attended and worked at for many years (in junior high and high school as well as in college) to see if they would like a few more volunteer hands to help them as they prepare for summer camp. They, of course, were quite excited to have more help, and so for the past two weeks Stephen and I have been driving down to Camp Victory and volunteering where needed. Our list of duties have included (but are not limited to) folding and stuffing lots of letters to be sent out to campers and their families, folding MANY t-shirts for the Camp bookstore...as well as completing other miscellaneous tasks. I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed serving in this small way and having the chance to bless the camp that holds a very dear place in my heart...and Stephen has enjoyed getting out of the house and helping out too.
  • Now, in regards to the military, Stephen has been waiting to hear back from his recruiter about a medical waiver...we received word the middle of last week informing us that they are only going to give one medical exception to each recruit...otherwise no exceptions. What this means for Stephen is that he will either receive a waiver for his blood pressure or an exception for his body fat percentage. After we received this news, we made the decision to put off Stephen entering the military until the end of the summer. Stephen will spend the summer losing the weight needed to enter and accepting the waiver for his blood pressure, if needed.
  • In the meantime, until summer's end...Stephen and I will both be working at Camp Victory for nine weeks (starting at the end of May). I will be the Office Assistant and Stephen will be the Cook's Assistant. I am so excited to share this experience with Stephen and be able to serve the Lord alongside each other in this manner.
  • Last week I submitted the necessary paperwork to become a Substitute Teacher for the Enterprise City School System. I was called the very same day I submitted my paperwork and was fingerprinted, to sub for a half day at one of the local elementary schools. And can I just say...thirteen 1st graders + one new sub = one CRAZY day! I am now certain that teaching (especially elementary school teaching) is definitely a special calling. I have also gained a new level of admiration for all of my elementary teachers I had (including my mom) for the time and effort they put forth each day to teach their students. I will continue to sub for the remainder of the year to help hold us over financially until summer camp begins.
Well, I guess this concludes my Sunday evening thoughts...I hope you enjoyed this segment :)

Until next time ~ kate

4 comments:

Jamie and Joy George said...

Katie - I'm so excited about you and Stephen working at a camp. I'm super jealous. I wish Jamie could experience camp like I did growing up (he never got to go). I'm glad you two get to experience it together - this won't happen many times in your life!
Also, so glad you got some part-time work until camp starts.
love ya,
JOY

steve, kate, annelise and joseph said...

Yes Joyous, I am pretty excited to share this experience with Stephen, I think our job situation (or lack thereof) though inconvenient at times, is truly a "God" thing because we will get to work at camp together...and like you said we will not have many opportunities to do this in our life!

I hope you are doing well! I wish there were some way I could see your pregnant self before "Pat" joins the world...

I miss you dear friend ~ k

Naomi said...

Wow, that will be a great experience for you guys! And you're so right about the teaching! Hope you guys are doing well!
Love,
Naomi

Rebecca M. said...

Thinking of you friend!