See...let me flashback to when we had just started dating (about three and a half years ago)...we are riding along in Stephen's car one day and the song comes on the radio, on one of the local country music stations, and I start singing the words in my head...still not quite to the point where I can just sing out loud the words that I know so well with my boyfriend in the car...but when the chorus comes...without thinking I turn to Stephen (just to be funny) and belt out the opening line to the chorus..."what about now...how 'bout tonight." Now here is the point in the story that makes me smile every time I remember this moment : at the very same moment I turn to Stephen...he too turns to me and belts out the same line and then we smile at each other and just start laughing at how goofy and cheesy we are for knowing the words to such a song.
"The sign in the window said for sale or trade
On the last remaining dinosaur Detroit made
Seven hundred dollars was a heck of a deal
For a four hundred horsepower jukebox on wheels
And that road rolls out like a welcome mat
I don't know where it goes but it beats where we're at
We always said someday, somehow
We were gonna get away, gonna blow this town
What about now, how 'bout tonight
Baby for once let's don't think twice
Let's take that spin that never ends
That we've been talking about
What about now, why should we wait
We can chase these dreams down the interstate
And be long gone 'fore the world moves on and makes another round
What about now
We've been puttin' this off baby long enough
Just give me the word, and we'll be kickin' up dust
We both know it's just a matter of time
'Til our hearts start racin' for that county line
What about now, how 'bout tonight
Baby for once let's don't think twice
Let's take that spin that never ends
That we've been talking about
What about now, why should we wait
We can chase these dreams down the interstate
And be long gone 'fore the world moves on and makes another round
What about now
We could hang around this town forever making plans
But there won't ever be a better time to take this chance
What about now, how 'bout tonight
Baby for once let's don't think twice
Let's take that spin that never ends
That we've been talking about
What about now, why should we wait
We can chase these dreams down the interstate
And be long gone 'fore the world moves on and makes another round
What about now
What about now"
Ever since then...this song holds a special place in my "memories of us"... and no matter how I feel...when I hear this song...a smile creeps across my face and it feels like my heart is just going to explode with the love I have for my husband, and to think this love I have for him...it is still growing :)
So anyway...now that you know the history of this song and what it means to me (and Stephen) we are now back to reality...so as I was listening (and singing) to this great song...I got to thinking about all the decisions that Stephen and I are trying to wisely make for our future as of late. Decisions like..."is the military what God has for us in the near future?"..."do we renew our lease in this apartment come this November or terminate and move on to our next adventure?"..."where will I be while Stephen is in basic, if it is the military that is in our future?"...you know "simple" decisions like that. If only it were as easy as deciding to go...without preparation...without any plans...just going...right now. But as enticing as this may sound..I think that having some semblance to life is good...and needed. I am so grateful that Stephen is seeking to make the best decisions to provide for our family and I am overwhelmed by how much he loves and cares for me, so much so that he wants to do what God has for us and our future...
(hmmm...I guess this is turning into a sappy post...oh well)
But anyway...when was the last time you just picked up and go...without any plans or reason for doing so? I think I was in high school...man how time flies :) but I think I much prefer where I am now...any day, hands down!
~kate
2 comments:
The Lord will open doors and close doors. Just keep praying, discerning, and smiling. Have a good week!
Kate and Steve,
I think you will find that those decisions that seem so big will happen faster than you can believe. It is so wise to pray before you leap. Doing it Gods way is always the best way. Even when it is the harder road! You two are so sweet! I remember being in your postion. Was it really 12 years ago? It doesn't seem possible. I will be praying for you both! Oh, and that is a great song! I will think of your story every time I hear it too! Talk to you all soon. Love, Tanya
By the way, I posted new pictures of the kids!
Post a Comment