Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dear Annelise...

*warning ~ this is quite a long post*

Your father and I are very excited to meet you...just sayin'. I have come to the conclusion that you must feel pretty safe staying inside for the moment, otherwise we would already be holding you if you did not. Now, I would be lying if I did not mention that I am ready to not have the aches and pains that go along with pregnancy, but overall I am overwhelmed with thankfulness to have had this opportunity to carry you for the past nine (+) months.
Today, as I was running errands a song came on the radio that brought me to tears...well there were a couple that did just that, but the chorus in one reminded me, yet again, that you are in God's hands, not mine...it's by Phil Wickham, "Safe"

"You will be safe in His arms
You will be safe in His arms
'Cause the hands that hold the world are holding your heart
This is the promise He made
He will be with you always
When everything is falling apart
You will be safe in His arms"

I have heard this song a dozen or so times in the past few weeks, but this afternoon when it came on the radio, a rush of emotions came over me. I started thinking about the past nine months and all the things that have brought me to my knees as we (your father and I) have prepared for your arrival.

I think back to the morning of July 1st...the day we found out I was pregnant with you. What an unbelievable blessing! I half expected the pregnancy test to be negative, but was so hoping that it would be positive...and of course it was and I was SO excited!!
I remember getting dressed for the day and walking across the lake for breakfast...
I remember pulling your daddy out of the kitchen to tell him the wonderful news...
I remember feeling overwhelmed with thankfulness to God for giving us this blessing...
I remember driving to the nearest town with a doctor to confirm that I was indeed pregnant...
I remember calling all of our family to tell them the exciting news...
but most of all, I remember your daddy and I getting down on our knees that evening and thanking the Lord for you!

Then I started thinking about July 14th...the day we almost lost you. I cried...a lot! I cannot help but think that God has big plans for you, because He chose for you to stay strong and keep fighting despite what happened.
I remember the fear that enveloped me that night...
I remember the drive to the Emergency Room...
I remember the smell of the waiting room...
I remember how your father and I clung to each other praying in earnest that you were ok...
I remember feeling all the prayers that went up that night for you and I...
I remember my parents being there...
but most of all, I remember hearing your little heartbeat for the first time and seeing you on the ultrasound...God reminded me that you would be safe in His arms that night!
And once again, your daddy and I got down on our knees and thanked the Lord for preserving your life as well as mine.

My thoughts then fast forwarded to September 15th...the day your daddy left for Basic Combat Training. Again, I cried...a lot! But I was also so proud of him! I missed him from the moment we hugged and kissed goodbye, but I had you to constantly remind me of him. :)
I remember our last quick lunch together before he left...
I remember the feeling of his arms wrapped around me...
I remember him reminding me of his love for not only me, but for you too...
I remember watching the van pull out of the parking lot with him inside...
I remember going home and my father coming home and giving me a long, comforting hug...
I remember waiting for your daddy's phone call letting me know he was safe...
but most of all, I remember that first night he was gone...getting down on my knees and thanking the Lord for such a wonderful and loving husband, who desired above all else to honor God by providing for his growing family.

The nine weeks after that, were tough...but were thankfully full of lots of memorable moments.
I remember getting my first letter from your daddy while he was at BCT...
I remember the first phone call I received from him too...
I remember September 30th...the day I found out you were a little girl...
I remember writing my letter to your daddy that night telling him the news...
I also remember instead of waiting for him to get my letter, telling him over the phone when he called a couple days after my appointment...
I remember our trip to Orlando with my family for your Aunt Ashley's 29th birthday, we also celebrated an early Thanksgiving while we were all together...
I remember the special moments I was able to share with your three cousins ~ Lauren, Emily and Maren...
I remember flying up to Maine to visit your daddy's family and enjoying another early Thanksgiving with most of your Aunts, Uncles and cousins, on his side...
but most of all, I remember all the nights of getting down on my knees and praying not only for your daddy, but also for you...and thanking God for both of you.

Then...there is Thanksgiving 2009, our last one with just the two of us.
I remember flying to Missouri with my mom...
I remember the butterflies that were leaping in my belly (alongside you) as my mom and I waited to see your daddy for the first time....
I remember seeing your daddy for the first time ever ~ clean shaven and 40 lbs. lighter...
I remember how proud I was of him ~ SPC Holmes...
I remember our Thanksgiving meal ~ from Ruby Tuesday...
I remember the sweet and quiet moments I was able to spend with your daddy before we said goodbye again...
I remember the moment your daddy felt you move for the first time...
but most of all, I remember getting down on my knees and thanking the Lord I was able to travel to Missouri for your daddy's graduation and also thanking Him that you were healthy and growing strong!

The weeks after Thanksgiving seemed to fly by and before I knew it I was standing in the Atlanta International Airport on December 18th waiting for your daddy to arrive home for Christmas. The following two weeks were spent enjoying having him around again and spending as much time with my family as was humanly possible before moving.
I remember the Christmas shopping...
I remember packing up and loading all of our belongings into a U-Haul truck for our big move out here to Texas...
I remember wondering if we were going to fit everything into said truck...
I remember Christmas Eve with my family...
I remember the presents...
I remember Christmas morning, saying goodbye...
I remember the day we arrived here, what will soon be your first home...
I remember saying goodbye to my dad the day after we arrived...
but most of all, I remember your daddy and I getting down on our knees and thanking the Lord for our safe travels, a new home, and for you too!

It has been quite the transition for us since moving here. Actually, the past nine months have entailed one big transition after another, but I would not change a thing! I am thankful for each and every moment that these months have held, and I look forward to the memorable moments to come. So, when you think about making your entrance into the world...know that you have two loving parents who are anxiously awaiting to hold you, love you, kiss you, care for you, and most of all pray for you as you grow.

We love you deeply and cannot wait to share our life with you ~ our little blueberry.

Love,
Mom

3 comments:

the smiths said...

sooo precious, katy!! :)

Rebecca M. said...

This is a beautiful post Katy. I have to admit I had tears rolling down my face reading that we shared two very special dates : Finding out we were pregnant July 1st and having our scares around the 14. Although our pregnancies turned out so very different, I too have been on my knees in thankfulness. I am praying that Annelise has a safe entrance into this world and that she will grow in thankfulness...much like her mother. (((HUGS)) and Blessings!

Katie said...

This is a beautiful letter, Katy. I am blessed to have read it.
♥Katie G