Thursday, February 14, 2008

My mother's father...

Today…on Valentine’s Day back in 1915, a son was born to a Danish family living in the state of Minnesota. His name? Erling Madsen…my grandfather.
About a week or so ago, I wrote about my grandmother…and this is her husband. And I truly cannot imagine my life without him. I know that some people, never have had the privilege of having their grandparents in their lives for some reason or another…and that is why it is so special to still have him around.

This past year has been very trying for my family (especially my mom) in regards to his health. Grandfather was diagnosed with colon cancer and underwent surgery to remove it. Only for the doctors to find that the cancer had spread so much that they could not remove it, without risking losing him altogether.

I called this evening to wish him a “Happy 93rd Birthday” only to find out that he was admitted into the hospital earlier this morning with a fever. The nurses and doctors are saying that he has an infection and is also dehydrated. If you think of it…please pray for him and my family!

I am so glad that Stephen and I were already planning on going to visit Grandfather and my parents this weekend. This is not the first time that we have experienced impeccable timing when going to visit them (you can read about the other time here).

It is truly a blessing to know that God is in control.

Anyway…back to the reason for this post…
Though my grandfather has experienced health problems in the past year or so…overall, for being 93 years old…he has been quite healthy for the majority of his long life.

One thing that I have always admired about him is that through every season…his love for God has been unwavering. He loves the Lord and prays every night before falling asleep. I will admit that I am not always as steady in my prayer life, but he encourages me, by his example, to keep seeking after the Lord, just as he has all these years.

So…on this day, I want to wish my grandfather a very “Happy Birthday!!” I love you so much!

~kate (Erling’s youngest granddaughter)

No comments: